7 Intriguing Facts About Taylor Guitars
Taylor is one of the most admired and revered brands in acoustic guitars. The guitars are known for their easy playability and undeniable, signature sound. Throughout their 40+ years in the industry, Taylor has created game-changing innovations all while concentrating on ecology and sustainability. Here are 7 facts about why Taylor is one of our favorite brands!
1. Before co-founding the company, Bob Taylor used to build instruments in wood shop class at school in the early 1970’s, trying to replicate the Echo Ranger 12 string. He later teamed up with Kurt Listug in 1974 to buy a guitar shop in southern California and Taylor Guitars was born.
2. The NT (New Technology) neck is a patented Taylor innovation. While most guitar companies were building necks with V profiles, Taylor designed his necks with slimmer dimensions to feel better in the player’s hand, with low, even action. The NT neck offers optimal contact of the wood and perfect neck angle.
3. Another Taylor exclusive is the Expression System (ES), which creates one of the most natural-sounding acoustic guitar pickup possible. It uses sensors to capture the movement of the top wood. With a low-profile set of controls, the ES system allows a player to plug an acoustic guitar straight into the board to produce natural, warm and woody tones.
4. Taylor is a company that is dedicated to wood conservation and sustainability. In recent years, they’ve taken on a more active roll in responsible forestry. The company operates an ebony mill in Cameroon, and co-ops in Honduras in order to source mahogany responsibly.
5. The Taylor 614ce won Best Acoustic Guitar of 2015 by Music and Sound Retailer. This model features an array of tone-enhancing refinements that transform the maple’s tone profile into a richer, warmer, more complex sound.
6. The 145,000 square foot Taylor manufacturing facility is located about 20 miles east of downtown San Diego in El Cajon, California. A free, guided tour of the guitar factory is open to the public every Monday through Friday.
7. Some notable Taylor Guitar musicians and artists include: Gustavo Cerati, Jason Mraz,Taylor Swift, Israel Houghton, Joe Ely, Rob Thomas, RJ Thompson, Switchfoot, Tony Iommi, Rowan Meldal-Johnsen, Air Supply, Hillsong, John 5, Dave Matthews, Rolling Stones, Jars of Clay, Shawn Mendes, Jewel, Johnny Rzeznik, Iron & Wine, Tori Kelly.
Taylor Guitars is truly one of the most iconic, innovative acoustic guitar manufacturers in the industry. Once you play a Taylor guitar it’s easy to see why they are so well-loved. We’re proud to carry this brand in our shop, and we know that Taylor Guitars will continue to craft quality, great-sounding instruments.